I have already explained in my previous article that why you shouldn’t discover every application for all Clients in multi-tenant environment; hence, disable their discoveries.
Now, we will learn how you can enable the discovery of an application client wise. Usually, how do you segregate the clients in multi-tenant environment? — Computer Groups. Refresh your memory here.
Pre-configuration information required:
- Group name of client’s computers.
- Management pack name of the application which needs to be enabled.
- Appropriate rights and permissions (SCOM Administrator)
Please follow these steps to enable the discovery of an application for a specific group of computers:
- Log on to one of the SCOM management servers
- Launch Operations Console
- Go to Authoring navigation pane > Management Pack Objects > Object Discoveries
- Click Scope > type SQL in “Look for” text box > select the appropriate targets that are related to newly installed MP and press OK button
Note: You should know which management pack do you want to override. Let’s take an example of SQL 2016 management pack.
- Identify the Object Discoveries that are targeting to Windows Server or Windows Computer
- Right click each Seed Discovery targeting Windows Server class > Override the Object Discovery > For a group
- Select the Computer Group
- Check the Enabled parameter name and set the Override Value to True; check the Frequency in seconds parameter and set the Override value to 86400, and select the customized management pack that you created while creating computer group, for e.g. “Groups – FCL” > Press OK
Note: By default, discovery runs every 14400 seconds (4 hours) that is usually unnecessary; therefore, change it to 86400 secs (24 hours)
Please repeat all the above steps for other SQL Seed Discoveries too (if needed).
What would you do differently? If you have questions or require further clarification, please leave a comment.
Did you find this post helpful? If so, whom could share it with?